Monday, January 30, 2012

Be what you want to become Everyday




January 23, 2012

Nära och Kära

This week has been full of work and miracles! Its been amazing! We are sincerely enjoying Jönköping together! 

Last Monday, we took it easy and wrote letters in the apartment. It was quite different from the normal hubub of pday. We then got to meet with Jerry! He is swedish and pretty awesome. He wants to know if God is there but wont really commit to anything (which seems to be typically swedish mentality). He is sincere though and we are all super excited to work together. We then met with Desire and he is awesome. He comes from Africa and has an amazing story. He is part of a minority tribe where the other tribes of people are hostile towards them. He showed us his scar from a bullet grazing his ear when he was young and then a machette wound from when they came to massacre his town. He has an amazing faith and knows that he has been lead safely away only through the power of God. We taught him the Plan of Salvation and his comment was, "This has been the answers to questions I have had my whole life and you have kept them secret!" He is awesome! We just have to figure out how to meet more often with him. He is a busy man.

Tuesday, we had an early morning as we met with some kids for a school project. I had some major stomach issues but Ann Sofie saved us and was able to take my companion on splits as I uplifted a family in the ward. We then met Albert, he is from China and is really starting to believe in God. His growth has been awesome. We taught him about how keeping the commandments will enable you to be blessed in all other areas of your life. Its pretty awesome! He said he will test out keeping the Sabbath Day holy and not studying on sunday. Im super proud of him! We then met with Tony who is praying about being baptised. He is super awesome and really has a strong testimony of the gospel already. We called it an early night and went home to eat and plan some lessons for this week and make some phone calls. Syster Schneiber was very patient and loving towards me as I felt absolutely horrible. 

Wednesday, we had Zone Conference! It was a mighty experience. As I sat in the back partway through I realized that I knew everyone in the zone except 4 or 5. It felt like I had been there and a part of this group forever. It was a nice feeling. We woke up early and drove with Äldste and Syster Rasmussen at 7am. It was cool in the car we read Alma 32 outloud via flashlight because it was still super dark. We learned about how to strengthen our faith as missionaries. It was wonderful! Like always Rich Holdaway provided lunch for the conference and I was able to say hello and thanks to him. It was awesome! He is great! We readjusted our Standards of Excellent and its awesome! I feel confident in achieving them weekly and springboarding off of them. 

Thursday we really focused efforts on contacting 10 people. We had many opportunities to put good old contacting to use as a few of our lessons canceled on us. (like half) We met a man who wants to change his life and become a more active member even though his wife isn't necessarily supportive right now. We are being cautious but he is super sincere. So this will be interesting. We scared the Rasmussen's as they were getting in their car after shopping but Syster Rasmussen said that it made her day. We then got to contact some more people as another lesson fell through. We met a less active member who brought his friend to church who had never heard about the church so we directed it to her. She is super cool! I hope to continue to teach her. We ate dinner with the YSAs it was good. We taught Tony about repentance and the spirit was super strong. I was able to remember something that I had been taught about a year ago about why we repent and the Spirit prompted me to say it. It made since to everyone there and we all felt uplifted. We are focusing on the YSAs and we have great plans in store! Its kinda like how it was at home in the branch before. I know Heavenly Father has helped to prepare me in this. 

Friday Ive been calling most everyday about my missing bag and nothing has come up yet. We called and it always says (the recording) "Du har # samtal förre dig, Tach för att du väntar!" So we had that stuck in our heads as we went through out the day. We met with the Wiklöfs today and had a great spirit in the lesson. Edith and Torstan are the sweetest couple I have seen! He is sick but has a super strong testimony! When we left he said, "I'm going to church even if I start to grow wings." I want to have church be so much apart of my life when I become his age. We met with Albert again with Wilson. They could speak chinese and understand each other so we got to really understand Albert. We taught the Plan of Salvation and he had really good questions. We visited the Strömberg family and met Benjamin bunny and Romeo the cat. That family is certainly one of my favorites so far. Syster Strömberg reminds me of Aunt Gina and her daughters remind me of Kathrine and Melanie. We get along already. I also learned that Syster Strömberg has the same silly finger that I have. So its pretty funny, gave everyone a good laugh!

Saturday We had a miracle as one of our investigators told us she didnt feel comfortable at church, our member opened up her home and we were able to teach her there. She had so many questions and they were gold! On the bus ride to the house we learned that her parents were coffee plant inspectors or something like that. We both thought, "So Word of Wisdom will be tough." It was brought up by her questions about how do you turn down coffee when its offered to you every fika time. She asked me what I say when Im offered it. I said I choose not to drink it. She agreed and how it makes since to not drink it. She doesnt either. We were relieved! It started a crazy snow storm while I was in a somewhat summery skirt! Yes I am from California and everyone makes comments about that! 

Sunday we had a great day and got 3 investigators in church! They were all super excited as well! We had a great dinner with a member family with less active kids who joined us for parts of it. My favorite part was with a member family we are working with to do some missionary work! We had them practice the restoration sharing each main point in 2 minutes and using each member in the family. Then doing it one sentence at a time. It was super cool! They seemed surprised when I spoke swedish with them though. I just am more quiet then they are used to. 

Challenge time! This comes from Zone Conference! "We become what we want to be by consistently being what we want to become each day." and "Faith and character are intimately related. faith in the power of obedience to the commandments of God will forge strength of character available to you in times of urgent need. Such character is not developed in moments of great challenge or temptation. That is when it is intended to be used. Your exercise of faith in true principles builds character; fortified character expands your capacity to exercise more faith. As a result, your capacity and confidence to conquer the trials of life is enhanced. The more your character is fortified, the more enabled you are to benefit from exercising the power of faith." My challenge to you is to assess your house that is built on the Rock of Christ and find those elements of the gospel that you are struggling to keep strengthened in. The ones that you are doing but not doing completely. Find them and strengthen them so that when the winds come you wont feel a draft. Especially the Primary answers Read pray and go to church. They are the best to begin with. I know that as you strengthen your house you will feel more peace then you have felt in your life!

I love you all and hope you have a great week!
Love
Syster Juker

No comments:

Post a Comment