From: Jennifer
Juker <jennifer.juker@myldsmail.net>
Date: Mon, May 28, 2012 at 7:29 AM
Subject: Let it Begin!
To: john juker <tugcaptn@hotmail.com>, Nancy Juker <njuker@gmail.com>
Nära och Kära,
Date: Mon, May 28, 2012 at 7:29 AM
Subject: Let it Begin!
To: john juker <tugcaptn@hotmail.com>, Nancy Juker <njuker@gmail.com>
Nära och Kära,
My heart is with you
all! Isn't it great to have the knowledge of the gospel at a time like this?
Sure its tough but just think of the amazing reunion taking place on the other
side! Grandmas got to be about the happiest she has been in a long time! Here
in Jönköping its been an interesting week capped off by an interesting pday in
which I left my planner at home so i get to try really hard to remember
everything that we did this week! Yay! Lucky me!
Well this won't be the most
organized of emails home because I can't remember much and so I hope you enjoy
reading it anyway. This week we taught people that we usually teach. It's been
some rough times here but we are working through them. I think my favorite
things that happened this week was when we got a referral from up north Umeå.
We got a call that a man had called the temple to see if he could be baptized.
Now obviously there was some teaching to be done but it was a blessing in a
time where we were really having a difficult time. We were able to go out and
visit Leif on Tuesday. We hadn't ever met him before but I had talked to him on
the phone. It was actually quite a funny experience on the phone because my
Swedish accent is almost non existent because I just can't hear differences in
sounds, whereas Syster Pool's accent is like perfect and her understanding was
lacking for a bit. So I got to call and he heard my accent and tried to speak
English with me. It took him a long time to say anything, and it seemed to take
everything out of him. So In swedish I told him that I've been here for a while
and I can understand swedish I just have an american accent to it. The
conversation went a whole lot easier after that. He told me pretty much his
whole history and we set up a time to meet. We went out without a map just a
google map print out of the roads close to where we needed to be. But we got
there without a problem and we sat outside of a pizza place in Värnamo with
him. When he opened the door we were surprised when he opened the door because
we were not sure what to expect but he wasn't really what we expected. He is a
great man of almost 70 named Leif. He has a girlfriend in Umeå and she told him
what's up and he jumped to it. They have known each other forever and now is
their chance. The happiness on his face as he talked about his Siv was great to
watch. His eyes just lit up with each story about them. We invited him to
church and he turned us down this time because he got free tickets to a soccer
game. But he will try to come this week.
We have been working with Marcos
also. He is about ready for baptism but he asked if we could move it to another
week because he is out of town this next weekend. It is really funny because he
has had a baptismal calendar with the time and subject of each meeting we
needed to have before he would be prepared to be baptized. But we are working
with him and getting it all figured out. He has been so prepared its been great
to see someone who when we introduce something to him he can already explain
the spiritual importance of that commandment. Heavenly Father does bless us
more than we realize when we are trying to do our best even in difficult situations.
We met with Lasse, Syster Pool's
cousin who had some questions about how we change the bible because in the
bible Jesus drank wine. We explained modern revelation and it all made sense to
him. He really is enjoying coming to church and learning more and more. Syster
Pool set him up with a cool Book of Mormon timeline and he is going to try
praying this week. Its pretty great!
On thursday we had a
great district meeting where we listened to a talk with 12 points of overcoming
Satan. It was great and really opened our eyes to the simple things that we do
each day and how incremental they are for our spiritual protection! Just
reading the scriptures helps us to keep our focus on those things that are good
and let those unimportant things that Satan tries to distract us with go. Also
with Johannes we have turned it into language study and a spiritual thought
because we have taught him everything and the ward is now focussing on him. So
this week we worked with him and he helped with our pronounciation. It will be
good. Even thought its super frustrating to not hear the sounds that everyone
else hear so easily!
On Saturday we spent a lot of the
day in service! We left before 8 to help some nonmembers move. It was a great
experience to help in a situation where a small family is going through a
difficult time and she couldnt lift anything and they were moving an entire
house to another house across town. It was a great way to just relieve my
worries by helping someone else. We got dirty and lifted tons of stuff. But we
had a real "mormon move" as they refered to it as. The YSA were there
and our investigator Marcos came to help as well. It was great. Syster Reynolds
and I got to be the ones in charge of stacking everything into the trailer. It
wasn't up to ups standards but it was fun anyway! We then came to the building
to help clean, it was our ward activity to help prune everything and get it all
ready for summer. So many people were there and it went great.
On sunday we had ward
conference and that was great. I saw a bunch of people from my different areas
back to visit for stake callings and such. We ate lunch together afterwards and
were able to talk with many of the members before teaching Marcos the 10
commandments and the Law of Chastity. That was interesting because he had never
heard of pornography and we had to figure out how to explain it to him. Like I
said he has been prepared. We then visited Berit a widow in our ward. She was
super cute and showed us a bunch of her pictures on her laptop and a couple of
the books that she is working on writing. We got to show her that she is loved
still and be with her on the Swedish Mothers day. I think that the widows in
the ward really enjoy seeing us on sunday nights. They have all asked if we
could come to each of their houses in the coming weeks. Its great to feel
needed.
As a challenge for this week, read 2
Nephi 2:24, think about how you can apply that to your life today. It has been
a great source of comfort and strength to me in times when I am unsure of what
I can do to possibly continue to tred the water of life. He knows what He is
doing. Even though I don't really understand everything I know that I can rely
on the fact that He does. I have a little brain compared to lots of people but
I know through my heart and faith that this is true. It sounds silly and
possibly like something that people make up just so that they can begin to
comprehend the things that they cannot understand intellectually. I know that
that is not the case. I know that God is our loving Father in Heaven. That we
are his children and that He has a plan for why we are here and with those
things that we are doing. If we take the time to talk with Him in prayer and
ask for some understanding on the subject He will open His windows and pour
down the blessings of understanding that we are all waiting for. He has helped
me know what I can do in so many different situations in my life from before my
mission to daily on my mission. He is always willing to give more information
if we are but willing to ask in faith. Test it out and you'll see that I'm
right because I know thats the truth through the Holy Ghost.
Hope you have a great week!
love
Syster juker
No comments:
Post a Comment