|
|
|
||
|
||||
Nära
och Kära,
So change is in the air! Evidently some people already know that
at home. Its funny to think of the changes in missionary work communication
wise. In the beginning of missionary work, the letters were few and unreliable.
Now the family knows or has heard from others about a transfer coming up! Thats
crazy talk but I love it! =) I am thankful that things will change because that
is what is needed it seems.
Last Monday we had a unique opportunity as we had an FHE planned
with a member family. We went to what we thought was their house. But it was a
less active member family with the same last name. It was incredibly funny as
they opened the door and we realized it was the wrong house. We got to talking
and found out more of their story and why they are less active. Some
discrepencies in the church history evidently. They professed to be lost
causes. I just smiled and he questioned why. I told him that they are far from
lots causes. My family is a little less active and they are not lots causes.
Heavenly Father knows exactly where you are and wants you to just take his hand
back into his fold. We invited him to church! (He actually came!!!) We then
made our way to where we were supposed to be but it was too far away so we
ended up resceduling and attending the YSA FHE.
Last Tuesday it seemed that everything we planned cancelled and
changed in some sort. It was a bad day for our companionship so after we
visited the Bishops wife we came home and tried to figure things out. I
studied my scriptures as my companion was having a bad day and I had no idea
what to do. She was angry and I couldnt change any of it. It was a stressful
day to say the least.
Last Wednesday we had our 12 week follow up call. We had all of
the companionships on the phone who just finished the program and we were able
to talk about what we thought about the program. It was interesting. President
Newell asked us about role plays. Frankly I dont like them and neither does my
companion so it was difficult to get in the mood to do them. So we didnt do
them as often as we should have. We were honest about how often and why.
President Newell thanked us for our honesty. We then had lunch and met
with Marcos. He really enjoyed talking about tithing and fasting. He asked if
he could pay his fast offering before he was a member. It threw me off
guard so I had to ask Syster Pool. I didnt think it was possible, but was still
unsure. She agreed with me and it all went well. We then got Syster Pools
Skätteverket stuff done so that she can get a personnummer. Whenever I have
gone to that place it always takes a long time. It was raining and we were
unsure of where it was and had an address. The time was getting close to
closing so we asked the Reynolds for some help. They greatfully came to our
call. We got there and were in and out within like 10 minutes max. It was
great! We made a stop by a member who is having a tough time and heart attacked
her before heading to the Robayos for lunch. The Reynolds came as well and we
were able to share the Second Harvest DVD with them and invite them to invite
someone to church this month. We got out of there a little bit later than
intended and made our way to Råslätt to have another lesson with Li and Wilson.
Wilson was already there and talking with Li. It was cool to see the difference
this lesson with Wilson. We met with him last week and talked about the first
lesson. To see how he felt about it and made a more secure lesson plan. Wilson
pretty much taught and we testified. It was really a special experience as he
taught in chinese. Syster Reynolds was sitting on the couch next to us and
turned and said, "He is teaching him how to pray isn't he?!" He was
speaking in a complete foreign language and yet through the spirit we could all
feel the essential truths that Li was being taught as Wilson described how to
pray. It was a sweet experience. We were all given water at each stop that we
were at and by the end of our trip it was definitely ready for a bathroom
break. But in the church there are only 2 stalls in the womens restroom. So as
we pulled into the church parking lot Syster Reynolds said, "Wait!"
and began to describe the situation. Syster Pool chimed in, "Are we going
to draw straws?" It was a funny experience. All in all it worked out we
forgot about the handicap restroom. We were thankful.
Last Thursday, oh my how things on this day changed a million or
more times. We had it all worked out for Marcos to have his interview before
district meeting. at 12 noon. He called us and said at 11:30 he was not
available to leave work at that time. In fact not until 4pm. Now this was a
problem because the district leader needed to catch a train at 3 for splits
with the zone leaders. It ended up working out though. We had Äldste Nelson
interview him after district meeting. We talked about finding people and
learned of our goal of 2,000 contacts for the month of juni. Its going to be
interesting because we have troubles contacting. But we are doing good so far.
Almost as soon as the interview was done and everything Lasse showed up and we
were able to answer some more of his questions. We planned to talk about the
restoration and watch the restoration video with him. He really opened up to us
and the Spirit was strong. He admitted that he hasn't ever talked so much
religion with his friends then he has right now. They ask him questions that he
can't really answer and it makes him feel foolish. So he wants to begin taking
real lessons with us. We were thankful for that. We had our language with
Johannes and that was a little frustrating but it went well. We talked about he
hymns and asked him to read them even if he doesn't sing them. He said he will
try.
Last Friday, We took our second harvest DVD out to a few members
and it really seemed to help them see the goals we are working towards as a
mission and the reality as how it will happen. Then did weekly planning. We
attended a "summer party" with the YSA for dinner as they celebrated
summer on a rainy cold day. The plan was to bbq hotdogs but it ended up being
an inside activity and we were able to set up appointments for the next
week.
\
Yesterday, church was awesome. I had a cool experience
yesterday in church as I was asked to translate for Syster Reynolds in Relief
society. Syster Nilsson (from the rs presidency) gave the lesson on Elder
Bednar's Talk "The Atonement and the Journey of Mortality" It was a
really special experience to be the translator. I do it almost every week but
this week it was different. I really had to work on it. It all worked out well
and the spirit spoke truths to my heart and also to Syster Reynolds. We learned
about how most of the time we have this misunderstanding that the Atonement is
only a cleaning agent. That we can only have the power to be cleaned from sin.
But there is also a part of the Atonement that gives us the ability to have
strength and power when we feel like we don't have any at all. I know that I
have done that. Assumed that because I haven't made that many mistakes that I
havent been able to partake of the Atonement fully. But in reality in each
sincere prayer that we give to our Father in Heaven we are partaking of the
Atonement. Asking for a little help and some strength to endure and continue
on. Thats a part of the Atonement too. My favorite quote from this article
(though you should read it all =)) is "You and I in a moment of weakness
may cry out, 'No one understands. No one knows.' No human being, perhaps,
knows. But the Son of God perfectly knows and understands, for He felt and bore
our burdens before we ever did. And because He paid the ultimate price and bore
that burden, He has perfect empathy and can extend to us His arm of mercy in so
many phases of our life. He can reach out, touch, succor- literally run
to us- and strengthen us." I have felt this so many times on my mission.
There have been days when I have thought, "i can't do it anymore, its too
hard, the people are too stubborn Im tired of rejection," etc, etc. But
the second those thoughts come around I know whose detrimenting power those
lame threats are and turn to our Savior, in a humble prayer and tell God,
"This is tough, Im having a tough time, that agency thing? what were you
thinking?" etc etc and He is able to give me the comfort I need to get up
off my knees and get to work again. Another day on the job. He definitely knows
how we have felt. He doesn't necissarily take the trial away but he makes us
more able. He allows us to continue our growing experience and be trained with
His help. Its a tough experience but I think Im beginning to grasp the concept
and now I turn more fervantly in prayer to Him who can actually help instead of
being stubborn and tryin to do it alone. Take it to God and be strengthened. We
can complain, we just need to rely on the Lord to get things done.
Complainning, its in a hymn in english that I can't remember right now, But
something like "to hear my souls complaints" He wants to know so that
he can strengthen us when we are so weak that we cannot stand. Then in the YSA
class I was given another opportunity to translate. It was a lot more difficult
as the teacher spoke super fast. But for the most part I was able to keep up.
We talked about Authority, how Moses and Elijah got their authority and how it
all was restored eventually to Joseph Smith. Another testimony to me of the
reality that Joseph Smith really is the prophet of the Restoration. After
church we went on search of signing up members to show the Second Harvest DVD
to. It went well and we got a bunch of appointments. We helped stack the chairs
because it always seems to be the bishopric members alone who get it done. This
time it was the missionaries. We were then invited to the Reynolds to have
dinner with them. They are great and we really feel of their strength when we
are with them. We then had an appointment with a part of the Malm family. Now
they have a lot of children so I tried to come up with something that they
could pay attention to so that they can watch it as well. The idea was to count
how many missionaries are in the video. We didn't think that one through. They
counted but were not so excited. All of them are willing to invite. In fact one
of their daughters have already done that this month. It seems encouraging. I
was able to take a little time yesterday evening to walk out by the lake and
pray to Heavenly Father about Grandma. I took some pictures and got a lot of
comfort and such of things. She is where she needs to be and so are all of us.
=)
As for a challenge for this week I really learned a lot about
the Atonement on sunday. I may have told you before but this time please read
that talk! "The Atonement and the Journey of Mortality" by
Elder Bednar and let me know what you learn. I know that the Atonement is the
greatest gift that we have all been given the opportunity to take part of. I am
so thankful that our Savior took it all upon himself so that we can do not have
to suffer. Take it to him and he can carry it so you don't have to: i know he
will because he has for me.
Thanks for the love and support! Love you all tons and tons!
Love
Syster Juker
No comments:
Post a Comment