Wednesday, August 8, 2018

What Are Your Keys For?

Have you ever really looked for something? Like your keys- you search your house! You make sure to search the usual, “I always put them right here” spot.


When they aren’t there you be sure to check the "sometimes over there"spot.


Which resorts to checking the pants on the floor or in the laundry basket from yesterday spot
and finally think you’ve found them! 
I know it’s Wednesday but they have to be in the church bag used on Sunday for Sunday School.


Discouraged to find them still missing you consider a break down, “Hey Honey?” referencing your spouse, “Have you seen my keys?” Together you think about it, maybe even pray about it, then the search recommences with reignited fervor. I’ve done it a thousand times! Together it’s easer to find things.
This parable came to mind as I considered standing for truth in marriage. I’m not here to tell you what is right or what is wrong. I just have learned that it is important to stand for something and to pick those “somethings” together. 
While in school as a single student it is easy to take a few minutes before the beginning of the semester and decide your own goals and expectations for the semester. It’s a simple lined piece of paper with a couple jotted lines of what you want to accomplish this semester and maybe a few bullet points on how to make it happen. Once you get married it gets a little more complicated.
Ideally you come together with your lined papers and compare goals and expectations. I’m happy to relate that didn’t happen when Josh and I got married. I had some goals scribbled in my brain and maybe a couple notes in an app on my I-pad. He had lots of goals written on his eyelids as he slept that never really made it to paper. Before marriage actually we purchased a book entitled, “300 Questions LDS Couples Should Ask Before Marriage.” Written by Shannon L. Alder. It helped us to get on the same page before literally sealing the deal.
I believe that it is crucial to a marriage relationship to determine what your key’s are for. As a couple we need to determine what we will stand for and that which is unacceptable by our standards. We need to be sure to make our Father in Heaven a key, His Gospel another key, our marriage one, and future children another for sure. But have you seen my key ring?! I have way more than just four lonely keys. Together through prayer and careful consideration between husband and wife we need to make “my” and “their” goals become “our” goals. After all; we are better together.




No comments:

Post a Comment