This week has been an interesting one. I feel like I have read too many statistics to keep straight in my mind but, I do know that the family has been under attack and continues to be under attack. The myths about family life were proof of this. The idea that we have lost our extended family made me sad as my husband and I recently returned from a trip to visit my grandparents as my grandpa is dying, I cannot imagine life without him as he has always been my special friend. It makes me laugh that people still believe that opposites attract. This is true with magnets but even their attraction overtime is weakened. In order to create solid families we need to find a mate who has similar beliefs and goals so that we are working together towards the same goal instead of the opposite direction.
Many of the common beliefs about marriage and family living are wrong. The changes from traditional values like that of abstinence before marriage, having children in wedlock, to the much more liberal views of accepting premarital sex as the norm, having children out of wedlock and cohabitation undermines the eternal nature of the family. Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother have set forth the pattern of families in the eternities. It has been in practice since before we were on this earth as just intelligences. As these common beliefs resonate more with people the adversary is thwarting Heavenly Father’s plan for us. It is sickening to me that it is as simple as making a generation more acceptable of immorality that puts His plan on it’s head statistically. How can we strengthen the marriages already in place and help prepare future generations for the commitment that is marriage and family living?
In order to strengthen marriages and family living and to prepare the future generations for marital commitments I think it is crucial to teach/learn cooperation. My siblings and I all participated in school sports teams and in music through marching band. These simple organizations helped us to learn how to work together for a common goal and change the “me” mindset to the “we” mindset as described in our readings this week. What are way’s in which you were raised that helped facilitate the “we” mindset instead of the me?
No comments:
Post a Comment