Monday, December 20, 2010
Name Them One by One
Johnson Oatman Jr. once wrote, "When upon life's billows you are tempest-tossed, When you are discouraged thinking all is lost, count your many blessings, name them one by one, and it will surprise you what the Lord has done." I've had to experiment with this. When dealing with things in life, "life's billows" so to speak its definitely easy to get discouraged and see life as some gloomy existence. Except when you keep track of all the blessings you are thankful for. A while back I began a list of every blessing I could think of. I'd like to have a book of things I'm thankful for. To start, I am thankful for; family, friends, scriptures, testimony, the Holy Ghost, The Atonement, Patriarchal Blessings, the Word of Wisdom, Joseph Smith, Prophets and Apostles, sun, moon, stars, air, clouds, ocean, mountains, sight, smell, feel, hearing, walking, running, sounds, music, kids, car, house, water, food, safety, love, listening, laughing, crying, gasoline, money, the ability to speak and understand, writing, reading, books, job, trusting people, Temples, church buildings, freedom, trials (though its tough at times), the ability to grow, agency, church leadership, Institute, colors, paper, pens, communication, travel, air planes, medicine, caring, kindness, computers, internet, e-mail, mail, bikes, electricity, plumbing, Fire people, help, time, bandaids, ponytails, chapstick (burt's bees), forgiveness, the Restoration, knowledge, tests, school, mercy, singing, praying, chairs, air conditioning, windows, cameras, pictures, memories, hugs, cuddles, sleep, profound thought, quotations, ideas, new situations, sunglasses, glasses, copy machines, roller blades, trees, shade, dogs, cats, animals of all types, spiders, insects, birds, stores, storage, laws, law enforcement, horns, streets, street lights, signals (of all types), leashes, tennis shoes, basketball, soccer, grass, sprinklers, pools, UPS, interpretations, perspectives, silly time, serious time, flowers, inventions, trucks, motorcycles, calenders, planning, notebooks, journals, photoshop, drawing, skipping, piers, towels, tooth brushes, tooth paste, eye drops, leaves, sidewalk, door knobs, locks, hammocks, ping pong, volleyball, humor, trust, learning, language, life, etc., etc. How can you not smile now? and this is but a partial list! Do it to it! I promise it works :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment